Wednesday, October 26, 2011

"Lively stones!"




"Lively Stones!"

What are "lively stones"?
I didn't think stones were living things!

It had been a long while since I had read out of my old Bible
that I used back in my Bible College days up in Canada.
It's the old King James Version, full of "ye's", "thee's", and "thou's".
But, for some reason, I picked it up this morning
and opened to this verse in 1 Peter 2:5:
"Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house,
an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices,
acceptable to God by Jesus Christ." 

So, because of my curiosity about what a "lively stone" could be,
I got out about 5 other translations to check it out.
I was amazed as I studied, to find out how this related
to yesterday's "Not About Me" challenge about "The Sacrifice of JOY".

The New Century Version helped a lot
when I also read the verse preceding it.
"Come to the Lord Jesus,
the "Stone" that lives...
You also are like living stones,
so let yourselves be used to build a spiritual temple -
to be holy priests who offer spiritual sacrifices to God.
He will accept those sacrifices through Jesus Christ."

My New King James Study Version by Thomas Nelson
had footnotes that further explained it:
"Stones here refers to stones that are shaped and
ready for use in construction, as opposed to natural rock...
All believers are priests who have the privilege and responsibility
of offering spiritual sacrifices to God."

What are those "spiritual sacrifices" that we can offer?
Guess what?
At least some of them are those mentioned in yesterday's blog:
the "sacrifice of joy", the "sacrifice of praise", and
the "sacrifice of Thanksgiving"!



Linking for the first time with Winsome Wednesdays,
and also with Laura's Brag on God Friday, and  Spiritual Sundays. 
To see "Rocks that Talk", check out my ROCK4TODAY blog!

6 comments:

Heart n Soul said...

Never considered stones as lively either, great insight. I suppose that saying ' a rolling stone gathers no moss' is appropriate then :)

Reformed rebel said...

Hi Esther Joy...I had no idea what that meant. I like it!
God bless you...Chelle

Lisa notes... said...

I think "lively stones" is a great phrase to hear again. It does put a little different perspective on things. Thanks for sharing your find. I like this!

Saleslady371 said...

What a neat teaching!

Just Be Real said...

Interesting post Esther. Thank you for sharing. Blessings.

Charlotte said...

How interesting. I was aware of the lively stones scripture but had not ever stopped to wonder about it or consider it. Thank you for bringing it up and for the great explanations.
Blessings,
Charlotte