Tuesday, July 1, 2014

A New Look at the Crucifixion...



From a "PK"!


Okay,
so I was brought up as a preacher's kid,
or commonly known as a "PK".
I have no idea how many sermons I have heard ---
not just from my dad or my brother Bill,
but from years of Bible Camps, Vacation Bible Schools, Revival Meetings, etc.
Many hours of my adolescent life were spent in Yardell Chapel,
where my dad pastored from 1956 to 1969.
Sometimes for people like us,
we seem to have a harder time actually getting the truths
that we have been hearing for so many years from our heads into our hearts.
When I was very young, I believed on Jesus as my Savior.
I knew I was a sinner...
couldn't deny that...
frequent "spankings" from my Mother confirmed it!
So I didn't need the words from Romans 3:23
("All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God")
to prove that I couldn't make it to heaven without a Savior.
But I had trouble understanding how Jesus,
who was a perfect man and knew no sin,
could become sin for us so that we could have His righteousness.
How could Jesus take on my sin, especially when He died so long ago?
Yesterday as I did my exercises on my mini trampoline,
I also got some exercise of my spiritual muscles as
I watched Joseph Prince, the pastor of the largest church in Singapore.
Wanting to watch it again and to share it,
I was so happy to find it had been posted on youtube.
If you, like me, have struggled to picture Jesus taking your place,
I think you will be blessed by taking time to watch the short animated video.
Maybe it will give you #anewlookatthecrucifixion also!
Click on the hash tag above to take you there!
The Message Translation from Isaiah 53 gives a word picture of that video.
"...it was our sins that did that to Him,
    that ripped and tore and crushed Him—our sins!
He took the punishment, and that made us whole.
    Through His bruises we get healed.
We’re all like sheep who’ve wandered off and gotten lost.
    We’ve all done our own thing, gone our own way.
And God has piled all our sins, everything we’ve done wrong,
    on Him, on Him."
This new look at the crucifixion causes me to take a new look at Jesus.
My younger sis gave me a little book with 365 names for the Lord.
So many of them speak to me that I am having a hard time choosing
which to post on Rock4Today, but I plan on posting one soon!
Thanks for your visit!


1 comment:

Joy said...

Thanks for sharing sister. I never thought of it before I read your post. There is always something new to learn from God's words no matter how many times we had read the bible or heard it preached.
wiahing you a very nice day:)