Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Fear or "No Fear"

In my Bible reading early this morning the word "fear" was mentioned quite a few times.  I've always been intrigued by the name "The Fear of Isaac" as a name for God in Genesis 31:42 & 53.  I guess this name must have come about when God asked Abraham to sacrifice his son Isaac on the altar.  As Isaac lay there on the altar and saw his own father raise the knife above his head and he waited for the blow of death, what terrible fears must have been racing through his head.  Then, awhhh, the moment of deliverance just in the nick of time, as God saw that Abraham was willing to do whatever He asked.

Isaac had to have been a willing participant in this test, because he was probably a strong young man and well able to out wrestle his aged father if he wanted to.  Although the words "Do not be afraid" are mentioned many times in the Bible, it doesn't appear that God spoke those words to Isaac before this event.  Isaac did have the words of his father, though, telling him that God would provide the lamb for the sacrifice.  He must have wondered, "Am I the lamb?!!" and "What kind of God would allow me to go through this?!!" as he allowed himself to be tied and put on the altar.

Well, it's time to get my grandson out of bed and make him some breakfast before he goes to school, but this has given me something to think about.  "Jehovah Jireh - God will provide" is the name that Abraham gave God that day, but the name that stuck for his son was "The Fear of Isaac."  Whatever fear I might face today, I want to remember "Jehovah Jireh - God will provide!"

No comments: