Thursday, February 17, 2011

Spicy Saltine Crackers and the "Covenant of Salt"!




Several years ago when reading through the Bible, I was intrigued by mention of a "covenant of salt." It sparked my curiosity, and I remember asking God to show me what it meant.  He didn't show me this immediately, and I'm still not sure I understand very much about it.  Basically, what it seemed to say to me as I studied it, was that God was saying, "If you serve me, I'll take care of you."

So anyway, I looked up a lot of the references to salt.  Of course, we can't forget one of the first Bible references to salt, when God turned Lot's wife into a pillar of salt.  Why salt?  I have no idea.  I always thought that maybe when the rain came and melted that pillar of salt that God may have used it to make the salty Dead Sea.  However, the "Salt Sea" is mentioned before Lot's wife was turned into salt, so I guess my reasoning was faulty!  (Genesis 14:3 cf Genesis 19:26)

Then reading this morning about the offerings brought to God, He said NEVER TO FORGET THE SALT!  Why did God want salt on the offerings that were brought to Him?  It must have been very important to Him, because He said: "Every offering of your grain offering you shall season with salt; you shall not allow the salt of the covenant of your God to be lacking from your grain offering.  With all your offerings you shall offer salt" (Leviticus 2:13).

In the book of Numbers, I think it gives us a better clue about what God meant about a "covenant of salt" when God is talking to the priests and says it is an unbreakable covenant between them and the LORD forever.  Then God says He is "their portion and their inheritance."  The other tribes were getting allotments of land.  In essence it seems to me that God was telling the priests that in exchange for their service to Him, He would feed them and take care of them. (Numbers chapter 18, but especially verses 19-21).

So how does this relate to us?  Does the "Covenant of Salt" apply to you and me?  Well, I think it does.   It applied to David and his sons (2 Chron 13:5).  Because David served God with His whole heart and soul, I think God honored him as He did the priests.  Salt was used as a preservative back then, and represented something being durable.  God gave promises to David that were eternally durable. 

His promises to us are also durable - they last forever.  Peter says we are "a holy priesthood to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God" (1 Peter 2:5).  So, if we are "priests" to serve God, I think we can enter into a "Covenant of Salt" with Him, expecting Him to honor all His promises to care for us as we serve Him.  One of those promises that I like is Philippians 4:19 "And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus."

For a reminder of the covenant of salt, I'm posting a great recipe from my friend "TJ".  These treated saltine crackers are amazing - especially if you like crunchy snacks that are a bit salty and spicy!  And they are so easy to make!   You do not have to bake them; they stay crisp without baking.

Empty all packets from a one pound package of saltine crackers into a gallon size zip lock bag.  In a bowl mix 1 cup of vegetable oil with 1 dry packet of ranch style dressing and 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, or add cayenne according to your taste preference. When well mixed, pour liquid mixture over crackers which you have placed in the zip lock bag.  Turn crackers over every 15 minutes or so until the oil and spices have absorbed.  Let sit overnight, and then ENJOY!  (If they are a bit hot for you, they are can be tamed when topped with a mild cheese.)  Let them be a reminder to you of God's salt covenant, and that God keeps His promises!

Maybe I'll post a little more of what I'm learning about salt later on another blog...







2 comments:

Musings of A Minister said...

Very interesting and enlightening. I am now interested in doing a study of my own on salt. Thanks for the recipe.

Jo Wolf said...

So interesting Esther! I too make these crackers. Same recipe. Delicious😋
This Christmas was a salt Christmas. For Buzz and Lex I purchased beautiful wooden salt containers and a variety of salts. Chipoltle to Truffle Salt! Tried to get a picturesque book on titled 'Salt' but it was sold out.
Thank you for this Biblical reference and the notion of God's durability.