Monday, November 12, 2012

Zig-Zag... and back track!




This weekend my husband and I made a return trip to David's Trail.
This time we took a different path -
one that went zig-zagging up and down the hills surrounding the lake.
 



This time we took our granddaughter with us.



As we walked along we enjoyed
the remaining wonderful splashes of color.
 
 
 
Then it happened!
There it was right in the middle of the trail -
some "scat",
more commonly known as bear poop.
The persimmon seeds gave away the animal's identity.
Gary said it looked like "cub size" scat.
Poking it with a stick, we found it was still VERY soft,
which meant the cub might not be far away.
 
 
Living up to his reputation as a protector of his family,
my husband quickly urged us to quit following the zig-zag trail,
and make a U-turn back to our vehicle ---
just in case the cub AND ITS MOTHER were still nearby.
 
As I was discussing what happened with our youngest daughter,
she said the way her daddy always tried to protect us from danger
reminded her of Jesus, our Good Shepherd, and our Guide.
(Click on colored links above to see corresponding posts on Rock4Today.)



In case you're wondering,
no - I haven't got my camera fixed yet.
I had to resort to my little "click and shoot" Nikon.

19 comments:

Aritha V. said...

O, what an interesting post today! I love it.

Vilisi said...

What a lovely analogy. :)

Rhonda Albom said...

beautiful, but bear poop would make me nervous. Mine's at Laugh Quotes.

SarahBeth said...

Yikes! Where there's the cub, there's usually the mom! I'd be making that U-turn too!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

probably a very wise choice!

Lola said...

Lovely analogy & post!

Happy A-Thursday too!

Unknown said...

What a wonderful post! I love your analogy.

Leovi said...

Wonderful photos ... I love how you captured the atmosphere with beautiful fall colors. Greetings.

Naperville Now said...

thank you for pointing out the persimmon seed tip (though I hope not to get too close to a bear or its scat.)

Midwestern City Girl said...

Great "Z" post! I had no idea about the persimmon seed tipping off a person about who "laid what where". I'm glad you had a nice walk and stayed safe.

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed that you know your scat so well. Looks like raccoon to me, but we don't have bear around here.

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful photos and great post ~ for 'Z' ~ ( A Creative Harbor) ^_^

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

Lovely Z post and analogy!

EG CameraGirl said...

Very wise decision to make the u-turn! Great Z-post!

~✽Mumsy✽~ said...

Interesting post, and yes your husband made a smart decision to go back!

Unknown said...

Very nice post...really is. It reminded me more of my dad.

Hats off to the protective daddy. :)

All the best,
Scudds

Sandra Tyler said...

never seen bear poop! We just get a lot of the deer poop. And now with a new pup too much poop in the house. Lovely pics.

Saleslady371 said...

"Just in case the cub and HIS MOTHER was nearby" Oh, that's funny. I love these pics of the trail and I love God's protection!

Jenny said...

I've been reading the James Patterson book, Zoo! You better run away from that scat!

And don't fall flat!

And don't look back!

Oops. Sorry. Caught up in fiction.

I'm sorry you don't have your camera back yet, but I'm glad you're recovered enough to walk easily again!

Thanks for taking us along!

A+