Tuesday, October 21, 2014

"Who da Thunk It?"

In and Out of the Fog


This morning as I was driving home from my sister's place,
I couldn't help but think about how FOG and GRIEF are related.





Sometimes I would drive out of the fog into the sunshine,
thinking I had left all of it behind,
...only to enter another wall of it a few miles further.

Like grief, I often feel like I have left it behind,
when suddenly there it is again, and the tears flow.




This parallel of fog and grief
reminded me of some verses King Solomon wrote in Ecclesiastes.

You may remember his famous words that say,
"a time to be born and a time to die".
He is the author of this quote, too:
"All come from dust, and to dust all return".

But he also said:
"As you do not know the path of the wind,
or how the body is formed in a mother's womb,
so you cannot understand the work of God,the Maker of all things."

And,
"the spirit returns to God who gave it"

But this is the verse that jumped out at me!
"None of us can hold back our spirit from departing.
None of us has the power to prevent the day of our death.
There is no escaping that obligation..."




I never expected to be comforted from the book of Ecclesiastes!
Nothing I could have said or done could have changed the outcome. 

As my brother Dave used to say when he was amazed by something,
"Who da thunk it?"
(Or in better English...
"Who would have thought of that?")

"The LORD gave,
and the LORD has taken away.
Blessed be the Name of the LORD!"


Later this evening I hope to have another post on Rock4Today
featuring a name for Jesus painted on a rock!



1 comment:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Thanks for sharing these thoughts. I have heard of grief being like a roller coaster ride,but I think the fog idea is a great way to describe it.FYI, I don't like roller coaster rides or driving in fog,so far to say,I don't like the grieving process,but have to go through it anyway.