Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Fighting to Win!


FIGHTERS!

I married into a family of fighters!
Fighters against poverty!
Fighters against injustice!
Fighters to defend our families and our family values!
And as it says in the Book of Proverbs:
To speak up for those
"who cannot speak for themselves,
for the rights of all who are destitute.
Speak up and judge fairly:
defend the rights of the poor and needy."

Okay...
but does that mean 
you can't enjoy a good competitive fight
or that you shouldn't ever defend yourself?

I don't think so!

Pictures can be deceiving!
Looking at this young man,
you might think he would be a softie,
a real push-over...
He has a heart for others,
is kind and understanding,
and doesn't like for people or animals to be mistreated.
Evidence of that is his rescued dog, Brovo,
who has become his best friend!

But inside the heart of this young man
is the heart of a fighter,
...a young man who fights to win!

...And the last National Taekwondo tournament
held in our area proved it
as he fought his way to win three silver medals!


So, I wondered what the Bible had to say about "Fighting"!
The Apostle Paul seemed to have the most to say:

"...I do not run like someone running aimlessly;
I do not fight like a boxer beating the air.
No, I strike a blow to my body 
and make it my slave so that...
I myself will not be disqualified for the prize"

"...Fight the battle well,
holding on to faith and a good conscience..."

"Fight the good fight of faith..."

"The weapons we fight with
are not the weapons of the world.
On the contrary, they have divine power
to demolish strongholds.
2 Corinthians 10:4

"For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid,
but gives us power, love, and self-discipline."

WOW!
Although Paul was usually speaking of a spiritual battle,
this last verse seemed to really 
"Hit the nail on the head"!
That's what training to compete is all about - self-discipline!
My husband has a favorite saying that
"Luck is simply where hard work
 and preparation meet opportunity!"

What opportunities are you facing today?



Thanks for stopping by!
If you need a bit of encouragement,
check out some of my "Names of God on Rocks" posts
to see what God can do for you!


2 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

Thanks for sharing these words of wisdom and encouragement.

Peggy said...

Hi, I just found your blog site. I have been memorizing Psalm 27 and I wanted to better understand vs.6 ... therefore will I offer sacrifices of joy in His tabernacle. I have been exploring your blogs after reading the one I was looking for which, by the way, was so
beautifully explained. I love your "Names of God on Rocks" posts as well. Thank you for taking the time to share your heart. - Peggy