Sunday, July 1, 2018

My Fig Tree...




A couple of years ago
I bought a little fig tree.


I checked the label to be sure it was hardy enough to survive in our "zone",
and the tag verified that it should tolerate our weather.
[Our Ozarks experience a full measure of each season,
and often the temperatures are quite unpredictable.]

During its first test of Ozark winter,
I thought it had died.
However, I put it in the garage 
and occasionally watered it.

To my surprise when spring came,
 it started putting out green buds.
In my excitement I put it outside a bit too early,
and a late frost set it back quite a little.

As you can see,
it's recovering quite nicely.

It's comeback stirred my mind to look up what the Bible had to say about fig trees.
I was surprised how many times they were mentioned!
The first mention, of course, was of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden 
when they tried to cover their nakedness with fig leaves!

But fig trees were mentioned quite a few more times!
Their presence seemed to indicate a time of relaxation and security.
They not only provided a place of shade from the hot Middle Eastern summer sun,
but also supplied fruit to satisfy their taste buds and replenish their energy.

Jesus talked about fig trees several times.
Maybe it was because I had witnessed my fig tree suddenly putting out green sprouts
 that the verses below seemed to stand out to me.
Jesus told His disciples this parable:
"...Look at the fig tree and all the trees.
When they sprout leaves,
you can see for yourselves
and know that summer is near.
Even so, when you see these things happening,
You know that the kingdom of God is near."

The coming things that Jesus talked about happening
are mentioned in Matthew 24, in Mark 13, and Luke 21
as He warned us to be ready for "The Day of the Lord".
If you would like to read about the signs of His coming,
click on the highlighted references above.
If you're not sure if you are "ready" for His coming,
Billy Graham has led millions into
finding peace with God,
and you can find those 4 easy steps HERE.

Well, I'm not sure how long I'll have to wait
before I can sit in the shade of my little fig tree
or eat of its delicious fruit,
but I have learned a little about the mention of
fig trees in the Bible!


I'm pondering on a new Name of God to write on Rocks.
I'm not sure it qualifies for a Name...
It's a bit unusual,
but I bet you've heard of it.
Check back later on Rock4Today for a new posting,
and see what you think!







2 comments:

Aritha V. said...

That is a nice Bible study. Thank you so much for it.

Ruth Hiebert said...

That little tree looks quite healthy.What a comfort to know that weever Jesus returns for His children,I am packed up and ready to go.