Wednesday, October 30, 2019

"Consistency - Thou Art a Jewel!"

I think that
The two most important things 
I learned in Bible College were:

1. "Keep balanced!"

and

2. "Consistency - Thou Art a Jewel!"

And I also think I can safely say that
 both apply to puppy training!


We have begun to have a routine with Max...
And CONSISTENCY definitely pays dividends!
(TV watching is not one of those regular routines,
but he appears to like watching old Westerns
with my husband!)

Max has learned to sit on command...
And sometimes he lays down on command!

Max is learning to do better on a leash,
and that is thanks to those who recommended a slip chain.
My daughter is helping TRAIN ME how to do this!
He's not "heeling" very good outside,
but does great when we practice inside the house,
up and down our narrow hallway!

The Labrador Retriever part of him is showing up
in his joy of retrieving tennis balls.
It's great exercise for him (and me!)
He is learning to let go of them
but he is not always CONSISTENT yet!
Treats seem to help!

"Potty training" via crate training
is going well,
with only a few accidents.
I'm not sure
 who is trained on this,
HIM or ME!
Potty training seems to be one of those things where
"Consistency - Thou Art a Jewel"
definitely pays off!

"Train up a child in the way that he should go;
and when he is old,
he will not depart from it."

I think that definitely can apply to puppies...

Max seems to be doing very well for four months of age.


(The above quote re. CONSISTENCY  is from the late Mr. L. E. Maxwell of Prairie Bible Institute!
Come to think of it, I think "Maxwell" is a good name for our puppy,
calling him  "Max" for the shorter version of his name!)


2 comments:

Ruth Hiebert said...

He seems to be enjoying the show on tv.

Esther Joy said...

Loves those Westerns! Also loves "Heartland" Series filmed in Alberta. I'm enjoying them also after spending the better part of 5 years of my life in that area!