Saturday, June 8, 2013

Butterflies and Blossoms


In a former post I talked about my dilemma regarding
the beautiful but toxic flowers that I was growing in my front yard.
(Click on highlighted letters if you wish to see that post.)


Well, in case you wondered what I decided to do about them,
I planted this butterfly bush in their place.

It's coloring is quite crimson red,
and should go well with the crape myrtles on each side of it.


I'm hoping the bush will live up to its reputation,
and attract butterflies like I had last year and the year before on my zinnias.


The trouble with the zinnias was
that although the butterflies loved them,

 the plants had taken over my vegetable garden.
(Click on highlighted word above to see the post on Zinnias and Butterflies.)
So, I'm trying to attract the beautiful winged creatures with other blossoms this year.


The day lily is one of them.
(Again, if you wish to see my earlier post on lilies,
click on the highlighted letters.)


Even if the stargazer lily doesn't attract any butterflies,
it will still be among my favorites
due to its beauty and the wonderful perfume it puts in the air.


King Solomon must have liked lilies.
He compared them to a beautiful woman in Song of Solomon 2:1,
"...a rose of Sharon, a lily of the valleys." 

He also used lilies in decorating the temple of God,
 "...he set up the pillars in the porch of the temple...
...And upon the top of the pillars was lily work..."

What kind of flowers are you growing?
Do you grow them to attract butterflies or hummingbirds,
or just because you like them?

To see my latest Hebrew Name for God, click on Rock4Today,


2 comments:

Aritha V. said...

Beautiful butterfly plant, Joy! Here in my front yard I have small roses and lavender. With box-hedges lined. Very nice. Ill once put a photo on my blog if they all flourish. If the lavender flowers come two different kinds of butterflies. Brimstone and peacock butterfly. So beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the butterfly bush is a good choice. I plant for butterflies mainly, but hummers are welcome.