Sunday, February 10, 2013

Trip to the Lake




It gave me great joy when my husband went to the lake with me today.


Although we were looking for eagles,





...we were delighted to watch this large bird
and get a few shots of it...
 
...as he sailed to his perch overlooking the lake.


Is it an immature bald eagle?
Or do you think it's a hawk?
I'm not sure...
It looks a little like some of the captured birds
that I featured on "Wild Things",
but it doesn't really match any of them.
It didn't seem to perfectly match any in my bird identification book, either...
(Click on any of the pictures above to enlarge them.)

 
So, anyway, I got to wondering, are hawks mentioned in the Bible?
If so, what does it say about them?
 
I found three references in the NIV Bible,
but only one in the New Living Translation.
"Is it your wisdom that makes the hawk soar and spread its wings toward the south?"
This is from Job 39:26 where God is answering Job's complaints.
 
God's answer actually begins in chapter 38 of the book of Job,
and He never really tells Job why he had to suffer so much.
To me it seems that what He does
is to show Job that He is Sovereign.
As the Sovereign ruler of the universe,
and as our Maker,
He knows what is best for us,
and He doesn't have to explain Himself or His actions.
I think if we have a grasp on how much He loves us,
we can trust Him no matter what.
 
 
Click here to see "The Lover of My Soul" post
on my companion blog featuring the Names of God on Rocks!


21 comments:

Denise said...

Job's genuine faith reminds us that God is true and trustworthy and can be relied upon completely. Faith gives us the assurance that God is able to fulfill all His promises, and it builds confidence, permitting us to place our life in God’s care for safekeeping. :)

Love all the pictures! :)
Blessings and love,
Denise

Jidhu Jose said...

second pic was superb

HansHB said...

Nice post for WBW!

Unknown said...

Nice find!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

mick said...

Majestic bird - whatever it may be!

eileeninmd said...

Awesome shots, it is an awesome looking bird. Thanks for sharing!

Carletta said...

Wonderful series of shots!
Hopefully one of our more knowledgable birders will know. Looking at the tail feathers I'm going with hawk but I'll be back to see if someone knows for sure. :)

Karen said...

I don't know what it is, but it's a handsome bird!

Stewart M said...

I cant tell you what it is - but I can't tell you one thing its not - its not a Bald Eagle! Given the number of times that either Red-Shoudler or Sharp Shinned Hawks get posts I would suggest (well guess really!) it could be one of them!

But as Karen said it's a nice bird - and the names we give these species are all about us and nothing to do with the quality of the experience of seeing the bird.

Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW

Stewart M - Melbourne

EG CameraGirl said...

Not sure what it is but the photos are wonderful.

Tina´s PicStory said...

wonderful pics! may be jobs story is telling us why we have to suffer. he didn´t know but we know :)

Mary Howell Cromer said...

I would most certainly say, not an Eagle! It is however a very gorgeous Hawk! You may want to "google the area for this lake and see which Hawks are in that area...may be a Harrier, or a dark morph Red-tailed Hawk. It looks like it may also be a first year bird~

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

Beautiful shots!

carol l mckenna said...

Wow! Fantastic shots!

Carol of (A Creative Harbor) on blogger

Sandy said...

Looks like an Osprey to me.. we have them out in our back all the time.. Florida they eat fish.
Thanks for your visit to my blog
and your funny comment.
Happy V Day
Sandy

Wally Jones said...

What a beautiful view of the lake you have!

I think your bird is a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk.
It's a large bird with rounded wings. The side view shows light colored under parts with dark streaking. The tail consists of many narrow bands, characteristic of a young Red-tail. (The "red" tail can often appear brown, especially on younger birds.) There is white "speckling" on the upper parts and upper wings.

The Red-tailed Hawk varies widely in appearance and may be different depending on location.

Hopefully, someone familiar with your area may chime in!

It's a beautiful bird and I'm happy you had a chance to see it!

- Wally (Florida)

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know I never made any comments on your Twitter site ~ my Twitter account was compromised and suppose to be fixed ~ Wonderful photography ^_^

Thanks for the comments ^_^

Charlotte said...

I'm not sure if it is a hawk or an eagle either. We have recently had hawks in our area. They have reduced the pigeon population for which I am pleased. Birds and actually all of God's creatures continue to amaze me.
Blessings,
Charlotte

Kenneth Cole Schneider said...

When in doubt I say it is a red-tailed hawk unless proved otherwise. That said, I do not know anything "otherwise."

Larry said...

It looks like a juvenile Red-tailed Hawk to me Esther. The brown and black striped tail and the light colored "V" on its back from white markings on the scapulars are pretty definitive markings. If you could see the front edge of the under wings on that first image, my guess is you would see a dark leading edge.

Stewart M said...

Great to see that these big predators are still alive and well.

A world without them would be diminished.

Cheers and thanks for linking to WBW.

Stewart M - Melbourne